ACPE UAN #: 0233-0000-16-015-H04-P
Release Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2016
Expiration Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2019
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Contact Hours: 1.25
Activity Fee: Member: $15.00 Non-Member: $30.00
As an accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of continuing pharmacy education (CPE) activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Target Audience: This repurposed session from the AMCP Annual Meeting 2016 is designed to provide insights and solutions for pharmacists who practice in managed care settings, to help them maintain and enhance their knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The cost of medications has become a burning issue for patients, payers, manufacturers and politicians alike. The issue is not a new one, but there is a growing need to assess the value of these agents in light of their costs and effects on patient outcomes. A number of perspectives must be considered to balance health benefits to patients, costs to payers, and returns for innovation to manufacturers.
This session will provide three unique perspectives – payer, manufacturer, societal – on how newer, emerging therapies should be valued. Each perspective will also identify policy options to provide sustainable development while controlled drug expenditures.
1. Explain how the principles of cost effectiveness can be applied to assessing the value of pharmaceutical and biologic innovation.
2. List three methods used to integrate innovation and cost to define value.
3. Summarize the payer perspective on assessing value on emerging therapies while balancing cost and optimizing the care of plan beneficiaries.
4. Summarize the manufacturer perspective on financing innovation while recognizing limited health care resources.
5. Discuss potential policy options that allow for sustainable development of therapies while controlling drug expenditures.
Schedule of Educational Activity
This CPE online activity consists of a pre-recorded audio/slide presentation, a pre-test (to establish prior knowledge, not required to pass), a post-test with a score of 70% or higher, and a specific online activity evaluation.
Faculty Relevant Financial Relationships Disclosure: AMCP asks everyone who is in a position to control the content of a continuing pharmacy education activity to disclose all relevant financial relationships with commercial interests. If AMCP determines that a conflict of interest exists as a result of a financial relationship you have (or that your spouse/partner has), we will need to take appropriate steps to resolve the conflict of interest.
- Steven G. Avey, RPh, MS, FAMCP reports having no financial relationships with any commercial interests during the past 12 months.
- Diana Brixner, RPh, PhD, FAMCP reports having no financial relationships with any commercial interests during the past 12 months.
- Daniel C. Malone, RPh, PhD has served as a consultant for Strategic Therapeutics, Sanofi, Diiachi‐Sankyo, UCB, Accordia, Biogen, and on the speaker’s bureau of Novo Nordisk, Merck.
- Brian Sweet, BS Pharm, MBA reports having no financial relationships with any commercial interests during the past 12 months.
- AMCP staff report no relevant financial relationships pertinent to this activity: Puneet Singh, PharmD and Ruby Singh, PharmD, BCPS..
Method and CPE Requirements:
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this online activity, only if they have not claimed credit for the live activity presented at the AMCP Annual Meeting 2016.
CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 24-72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive CPE credit for an AMCP Learn online activity you must:
- View the entire pre-recorded audio/slide presentation.
- Successfully complete the post-test with a score of 70% or higher (The post-test may be taken up-to three times, and will provide feedback.)
- Complete a specific online activity evaluation.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating the web site. View the minimum technical and system requirements for online educational activities.
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-16-015-H04-P||1.25 Contact Hours||April 20, 2016 - April 20, 2019|