ACPE UAN #: 0233-0000-16-019-H04-P
Release Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2016
Expiration Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2019
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Contact Hours: 1.25
Activity Fee: Member: $15.00 Non-Member: $30.00
As an accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of continuing pharmacy education (CPE) activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Target Audience: This repurposed session from the AMCP Annual Meeting 2016 is designed to provide insights and solutions for pharmacists who practice in managed care settings, to help them maintain and enhance their knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Self-funded employers represent a significant portion of privately insured individuals. Health care costs, and specifically the increasing specialty drug spend, is having an impact on employer competitiveness and wage growth. This impact is shaping employer’s expectations and scrutiny of specialty medications in both the pharmacy and medical benefits, and of the managed care organizations that administer these drug benefits.
Learn how a partnership among employers has led to enhanced knowledge about specialty medications and to new expectations of managed care organizations and specialty providers in the marketplace. Key areas of change and action are highlighted for individual employers, employers collectively, specialty drug providers and public policy action.
- Summarize the needs and expectations of self-insured employers with regard to management of specialty medications in both the pharmacy and medical benefits.
- List at least two knowledge gaps among self-insured employers that exist regarding specialty drug spend and utilization.
- Discuss at least two action items identified by the employer partnership that can improve the role of managed care organizations in the management of specialty pharmaceuticals in both the pharmacy and medical benefits of self-insured employers.
- Describe the actions and initial steps taken by the employer partnership to improve specialty drug management.
Schedule of Educational Activity
This CPE online activity consists of a pre-recorded audio/slide presentation, a pre-test (to establish prior knowledge, not required to pass), a post-test with a score of 70% or higher, and a specific online activity evaluation.
Faculty Relevant Financial Relationships Disclosure: AMCP asks everyone who is in a position to control the content of a continuing pharmacy education activity to disclose all relevant financial relationships with commercial interests. If AMCP determines that a conflict of interest exists as a result of a financial relationship you have (or that your spouse/partner has), we will need to take appropriate steps to resolve the conflict of interest.
- Linda Davis, BSN is a consultant for the Minnesota Health Action Group.
- Bithia Fikru, PharmD, MPA, PhD Candidate reports having no financial relationships with any commercial interests during the past 12 months.
- Carolyn Pare, BS is employed by the Minnesota Health Action Group.
- Stephen W. Schondelmeyer, PharmD, MPA, PhD reports having no financial relationships with any commercial interests during the past 12 months.
- AMCP staff report no relevant financial relationships pertinent to this activity: Puneet Singh, PharmD and Ruby Singh, PharmD, BCPS.
Method and CPE Requirements:
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this online activity, only if they have not claimed credit for the live activity presented at the AMCP Annual Meeting 2016.
CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 24-72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive CPE credit for an AMCP Learn online activity you must:
- View the entire pre-recorded audio/slide presentation.
- Successfully complete the post-test with a score of 70% or higher (The post-test will provide feedback.)
- Complete a specific online activity evaluation.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating the web site. View the minimum technical and system requirements for online educational activities.
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-16-019-H04-P||1.25 Contact Hours||April 20, 2016 - April 20, 2019|