ACPE UAN #: 0233-0000-16-044-H04-P
Release Date: December 20, 2016
Expiration Date: October 4, 2019
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Contact Hours: 1.5
Activity Fee: Member: $15 Non-Member: $30
Target Audience: Pharmacists who practice in managed care settings.
With the continual growth of specialty drugs, payers must remain vigilant in staying ahead of the specialty pipeline and managing the drug spend. While specialty drugs have posed some challenges, payers have been creative in finding solutions to manage drug spend while not sacrificing the quality of patient care.
This session will highlight two real world examples of strategies used to manage the medical specialty drug spend. The first example will focus on medical-benefit drug expenditures and strategies used to address these expenditures. The second example will review the impact of a site-of-service and medical formulary strategy on the drug spend.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Summarize the current trends of medical specialty drugs with regards to overall drug spend.
- Describe the impact of medical benefit drug expenditures on the overall drug spend, as well as trend drivers for future expenditures.
- List and describe at least two operational strategies used to manage medical benefit drug expenditures.
- Explain how site-of-service strategies and medical formulary management provide opportunities to manage drug costs and improve the quality of care.
Schedule of Educational Activity
This activity consists of an audio recording, pre-test assessment questions (not required to pass or continue), post-test questions (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher) and a specific activity evaluation.
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live activity presented at AMCP Nexus 2016.
CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating web sites. View the minimum technical and system requirements for continuing education online learning activities.
The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
As an accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of continuing pharmacy education (CPE) activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Sheila Arquette, BS Pharmacy
Director of Pharmacy Independent Health
Buffalo, New York
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-16-044-H04-P||1.5 Contact Hours||October 04, 2016 - October 04, 2019|