ACPE UAN #: 0233-0000-18-001-H04-P
Release Date: January 24, 2018
Expiration Date: January 24, 2021
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Credit Hours: 1.0 contact hours (0.1 CEU)
Activity Fee: There is no fee to participate in this home study activity.
This home study activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of pharmacists in managed care settings.
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is a rare, genetic, neuromuscular disease that causes progressive muscle weakness and deterioration. SMA is categorized into four types, depending on the severity of the disease, and each type presents its own unique clinical management challenges. Due to this heterogeneity, the impact of SMA on mortality and quality of life varies among patients.
In this webinar, experts will explore the clinical aspects of SMA—including symptoms, diagnosis and treatment options— and address cost containment strategies.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Explain the classification, signs and symptoms, and potential comorbidities of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA).
- Using SMA classification categories as a guide, identify non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic approaches to managing patients with SMA.
- Discuss cost containment strategies for the management of SMA.
Schedule of Educational Activity
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy – A Review of Clinical Presentations and Treatment Options | Stephen J. Ryan, MD, MA
Managed Care Considerations for Spinal Muscular Atrophy | Jack Hoadley, PhD
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live webinar activity on January 24, 2018. CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all
As an ACPE-accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of CPE activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Statement of Commercial Support
This educational activity is supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Biogen MA, Inc.
Brittany N. Vogel, PharmD, MBA
Education Program Manager
Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-18-001-H04-P||1 Contact Hour||January 24, 2018 - January 24, 2021|