ACPE UAN #: 0233-0000-18-046-H04-P
Release Date: June 5, 2018
Expiration Date: June 5, 2021
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Credit Hours: 1.0 contact hours (0.1 CEU)
Activity Fee: There is no fee to participate in this home study activity.
This home study activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of pharmacists in managed care settings.
Chronic migraine is when a patient experiences a migraine at least 15 days per month. Approximately 4 million adults experience chronic migraines, and current guidelines recommend both acute and preventative medications for most chronic migraine patients. Available migraine medications are beneficial, but there continues to be a need for more agents to manage and prevent migraines. The migraine medication pipeline includes some promising medications that show potential to reduce or eliminate the number of days a patient experiences a migraine. Managed care pharmacists are actively engaged in evaluating available data to support decisions concerning access to new therapies that could be included in treatment plans of patients experiencing chronic migraines.
This webinar will explore the challenges of diagnosing and treating chronic migraine and aim to provide an overview of current treatment guidelines, where medications in the pipeline may fit into those guidelines, and provide insight into the managed care considerations for these new therapies.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the potential challenges in reaching an accurate chronic migraine diagnosis, and the impact of chronic migraine on patient quality of life.
- Recognize the impact chronic migraine has on pharmacoeconomics and total cost of patient care.
- Identify and describe the mechanism of action, indications, efficacy, and safety of emerging migraine medications in the development pipeline.
- Discuss the managed care considerations of emerging therapies by exploring where these pipeline agents may fit into current chronic migraine management guidelines.
Schedule of Educational Activity
- Current Landscape of Chronic Migraines: Prevention, Treatment, and Patient Impact- Nikki Hahn, PharmD, BCACP and Matthew Palmgren, PharmD
Emerging Therapies for Chronic Migraines and Managed Care Considerations - Nikki Hahn, PharmD, BCACP and Matthew Palmgren, PharmD
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live webinar activity on June 5, 2018. CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities, you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and
As an ACPE-accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of CPE activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Statement of Commercial Support
This educational activity is supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Amgen Inc.
Brittany N. Vogel, PharmD, MBA
Education Program Manager
Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-18-046-H04-P||1 Contact Hour||June 05, 2018 - June 05, 2021|