ACPE UAN #: 0233-9999-18-044-H04-P
Release Date: July 18, 2018
Expiration Date: July 18, 2021
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Credit Hours: 1.0 contact hours (0.1 CEU)
Activity Fee: There is no fee to participate in this home study activity.
This knowledge-based activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of pharmacists, physicians, and nurses in managed care settings.
Sickle cell disease (SCD) is an autosomal recessive genetic disease that affects approximately 100,000 people within the United States. Current treatment options for SCD attempt to implement a holistic approach that both manages physical manifestations and addresses the mental, emotional, and social well-being of patients. Several pipeline treatments, including gene therapies, are being developed with the intent to better manage and potentially cure sickle cell disease.
This program will provide an overview of SCD and its treatment, review managed care approaches for sickle cell disease, and explore treatments in development, including potential cures through gene therapy.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the pathophysiology, physical manifestations, clinical course, and impact on patient quality of life of sickle cell disease (SCD).
- List currently-available treatment options for patients with SCD.
- Discuss approaches currently utilized by third party payers to manage costs associated with the care of patients with SCD.
- Review sickle cell treatment options in the pipeline, including gene therapies, and their potential role in the management of patients with SCD.
Schedule of Educational Activity
Sickle Cell Disease
- Overview of current treatment approaches
- Managed care approaches
- Investigational approaches
- The future of care management
Nirmish Shah, MD and Karen Watkins, PharmD, BCOP
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live webinar activity on July 18, 2018. CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
This activity is being provided jointly by Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy and PRIME® Education, LLC.
Continuing Education Credit - Pharmacists
The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
As an ACPE-accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of CPE activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Continuing Education Credit - Physicians and Nurses
In support of improving patient care, PRIME Education, LLC (PRIME®) is accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This activity was planned by and for the healthcare team, and learners will receive 1.0 Interprofessional Continuing Education (IPCE) credits for learning and change.
Physician Credit Designation Statement
PRIME® designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Nurse Accreditation Statement
PRIME® designates this activity for 1.0 contact hours.
To claim CME (ACCME) or CNE (ANCC) credit:
- Complete the Pre-Test to assess your knowledge (passing not required to coninue).
- Watch the video in its entirety.
- Complete the Post-Test. (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete the activity evaluation.
- Skip the CPE claim credit window.
- Click on the Claim CME/CNE instructions document on the activities page. (Click the link within the instructions document and follow the prompts to obtain your CME/CNE certificate.)
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating web sites. View the minimum technical and system requirements for continuing education online learning activities.
Statement of Commercial Support
This educational activity is supported by an unrestricted education grant from Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
Brittany N. Vogel, PharmD, MBA
Education Program Manager
Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-9999-18-044-H04-P||1 Contact Hour||July 18, 2018 - July 18, 2021|