ACPE UAN #: 0233-0000-18-048-H04-P
Release Date: August 28, 2018
Expiration Date: August 28, 2021
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Credit Hours: 1.0 contact hours (0.1 CEU)
Activity Fee: There is no fee to participate in this home study activity.
This knowledge-based activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of pharmacists in managed care settings.
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a rare genetic disease that affects more than 70,000 individuals worldwide. In patients with CF, cells that produce mucus, sweat, and digestive fluids are affected by a defective gene, which creates thick, sticky secretions instead of normal watery and slippery secretions. These thick secretions primarily affect pulmonary function and digestive processes but may also impact other organs. While medication advances are helping patients with CF live longer and fuller lives, their activities of daily living remain limited.
Complexities in medication treatment, adherence, and cost of care can complicate disease management. Medication nonadherence is a major driver of costs including those that related to hospitalizations, multiple types of therapy (e.g., physical therapy, depression management), and additional prescription medications. In this webinar, experts who provide pharmacy-based services for patients with CF will discuss current and emerging treatment options and models of care that improve adherence and patient outcomes while also controlling costs.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Summarize current treatment options for patients with cystic fibrosis (CF).
- Discuss at least two medications in development for the treatment of CF and their potential roles in therapy.
- Describe challenges and opportunities in CF disease management, including quality of life and total cost of care.
- Explain features of innovative pharmacy-based management strategies that are associated with improving adherence, outcomes, and cost management in patients with CF
Schedule of Educational Activity
- David Young, PharmD | Overview of features of CF and current treatment approaches Investigational approaches Challenges and barriers to care.
Jeffery Zobell, PharmD, BCPPS | Pharmacy-based models of care and impact on outcomes.
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live webinar activity on August 28, 2018. CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating web sites. View the minimum technical and system requirements for continuing education online learning activities.
As an ACPE-accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of CPE activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Statement of Commercial Support
This educational activity is supported by an unrestricted education grant from Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated.
Brittany Vogel, PharmD, MBA
Education Program Manager
Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-18-048-H04-P||1 Contact Hour||August 28, 2018 - August 28, 2021|