ACPE UAN #: 0233-0000-19-049-H04-P
Release Date: March 28, 2019
Expiration Date: March 28, 2022
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Contact Hours: 1.25 contact hours
Activity Fee: Member: $15 Non-Member: $30
Target Audience: Pharmacists who practice in managed care settings.
For the tenth consecutive year, specialty pharmaceutical growth has far exceeded that of traditional drugs. Given the large number of specialty products in the pipeline, it is expected this trend will continue for years to come and will continue to challenge managed care organizations.
This challenge underscores the need for care teams to develop and share strategies that allow them to stay ahead of the drug spending trends while ensuring optimal patient care and outcomes. A big focus for the future will be on the drug spend related to the medical pharmacy benefit.
This session will highlight the current trend drivers for specialty drugs on the medical pharmacy benefit and the tactics managed care organizations are using to impact the medical pharmacy benefit. This session will use real-world case studies and outcomes to demonstrate these tactics.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Summarize trend drivers for specialty drugs covered through the medical pharmacy benefit.
- Identify the key challenges among managed care organizations related to medical pharmacy benefit management.
- Describe valuable medical benefit management tactics across lines of business, sites of service, drug therapeutic classes and member benefit design.
- Explain medical benefit drug management and site of service solutions through novel program development, benefit design, place of service management and utilization management.
Schedule of Educational Activity
This activity consists of an audio recording, pre-test assessment questions (not required to pass or continue), post-test questions (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher) and a specific activity evaluation.
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live activity presented at AMCP Annual Meeting 2019.
CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities, you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating web sites. View the minimum technical and system requirements for continuing education online learning activities.
As an accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of continuing pharmacy education (CPE) activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Grant Knowles, PharmD, CSP | Vice President, Business Development & Industry Relations | Ardon Health | Portland, Oregon
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-19-049-H04-P||1.25 Contact Hours||March 28, 2019 - March 28, 2022|