ACPE UAN #: 0233-0000-19-031-H01-P
Release Date: March 26, 2019
Expiration Date: March 26, 2022
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Contact Hours: 1.25
Activity Fee: Member: Free Non-Member: $30
Target Audience: Pharmacists who practice in managed care settings.
Patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) currently have a 60% five-year survival outlook, which has been increasing since the 1980s when it was a 37% five-year outlook. This is attributed to a growing understanding of PAH and improved treatments available for the disease. However, there is inconsistency in inter-provider placement of patients into PAH functional classification categories. This creates discrepancies in treatment options used and may increase indirect costs through patients not receiving the right type of treatment to improve functionality and reduce the chances of developing comorbid conditions.
This session will provide data on the pathophysiology and potential comorbidities of PAH, WHO functional classification categories and how these impact treatment decisions, information on emerging therapies, and formulary management approaches for PAH.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the pathophysiology of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), the functional classifications and their use in determining treatment options, and the potential comorbidities associated with the disease.
- Explain PAH treatment management with an emphasis on targeted goal-directed therapy.
- Identify at least one medication in the PAH pipeline and where it may fit into the current guidelines.
- Examine the pharmacoeconomic impact of current PAH medications in terms of QALY, indirect cost prevention, and long-term survival benefits.
- Discuss formulary decision-making strategies for optimizing outcomes of PAH treatment options.
Schedule of Educational Activity
This activity consists of an audio recording, pre-test assessment questions (not required to pass or continue), post-test questions (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher) and a specific activity evaluation.
The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
As an accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of continuing pharmacy education (CPE) activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live activity presented at AMCP Annual Meeting 2019.
CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
Statement of Commercial Support:
This educational activity is supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Actelion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Brian Mischel, RPh, MBA | Director, Clinical Solutions | Express Scripts | St. Louis, Missouri.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities, you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating websites. View the minimum technical and system requirements for continuing education online learning activities.
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-19-031-H01-P||1.25 Contact Hours||March 26, 2019 - March 26, 2022|