ACPE UAN #: 0233-0000-20-017-H04-P
Release Date: April 24, 2020
Expiration Date: April 24, 2023
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Contact Hours: 1
Activity Fee: Member: Free Non-Member: $30
Target Audience: Pharmacists who practice in managed care settings.
A prominent health care payer and pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) will share their real-world experiences and learnings in managing innovative and expensive gene therapies. Claims data observations on utilization costs provide insight into the how new gene and cell therapies are moving through the drug and reimbursement channels to date. Real-world case studies demonstrate how high-cost therapies impact many new stakeholders involved in the management of these products. Such studies also will expose gaps in the current infrastructure used to manage costs, along with provider and employer group expectations. In addition, faculty will note how working through coverage and payment strategies may become emotionally charged, especially for the member, but can bring new understanding of how to achieve best practices.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the new impact gene therapies present and what managed care organizations are doing to address them.
- Discuss the distribution processes and unique financial risks associated with gene and one-time therapies along with potential solutions to provide judicious payment for drug and services.
- Identify the decision points made and unique considerations faced by a managed care organization and self-funded employer group in real-world case studies of coverage requests.
- Recognize stakeholders within managed care organizations needing coordination to bring the management strategy for gene therapy coverage and administration into alignment.
Schedule of Educational Activity:
This activity consists of an audio recording, pre-test assessment questions (not required to pass to continue), post-test questions (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher) and a specific activity evaluation.
The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
As an accredited provider, AMCP strictly adheres to the ACPE Standards for Commercial Support and other relevant guidelines and standards to ensure the independence of continuing pharmacy education (CPE) activities. It is AMCP’s intent that all CPE activities be independent, objective, balanced, evidence-based and free of any commercial bias.
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live webinar activity presented at AMCP eLearning Days.
CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
Ruby Singh, Vice President, Education & Training, AMCP, Alexandria, Virginia.
System Technical Requirements/Viewing Requirements: System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities, you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating websites. View the minimum technical and system requirements for continuing education online learning activities.
|Activity Number||Credit Amount||Accreditation Period|
|ACPE UAN #0233-0000-20-017-H04-P||1 Contact Hour||April 24, 2020 - April 24, 2023|