Chronic Kidney Disease: Impact of Next Generation Therapeutics
Pricing: Free for Members and Non-Members
This activity is supported by an independent educational grant from Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Eli Lilly and Company.
Advancements in treating chronic kidney disease (CKD) are being driven by an increased understanding of disease mechanisms and the use of precision medicine approaches to target the underlying causes. It is anticipated that several new treatment options will be approved by the Food and Drug Administration in the next five years. While the new agents may represent scientific advancements, the cost of these treatments will also require assessment of budget impact and appropriate managed care strategies to ensure safe and appropriate use in patients.
Faculty will provide an overview of current CKD management and a summary of treatment advances likely to be available in the near future. This session will also demonstrate the importance of addressing health disparities in CKD, addressing patient quality of life, and understanding the financial impact of novel therapies.
This knowledge-based activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of pharmacists in managed care settings.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the recent treatment and emerging pipeline advancements targeting the underlying causes of chronic kidney disease.
- Describe key health disparities that can impact access to chronic kidney disease care.
- Discuss the burden of chronic kidney disease on patients and the impact on quality of life.
- Describe the financial impact of treating chronic kidney disease in the US.
Megan Chynoweth, PharmD, APh, CDCES, BCACP
Ambulatory Care Pharmacist
Emmanuel Mensah, MD, MBA
Attending Physician / Firm Chief
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center / Harvard Medical School
YuQian Liu, PharmD, RPh
Director, Specialty Clinical Solutions
Magellan Rx Management
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Financial Relationship Disclosures
|Faculty/Reviewer/Planner||Reported Relevant Financial Relationships|
|Stock: Johnson and Johnson|
|Stock: Pfizer, United Health, Walgreens|
Disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
|Disclosed no relevant financial relationships.|
- AMCP Staff have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
- If applicable, relevant financial relationships have been mitigated and documented.
- Content has undergone a peer review to ensure content validity.
The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
ACPE UAN:0233-0000-22-026-H01-P • Activity Type: Knowledge-Based
Contact Hours: 1
Release Date: May 11, 2022 • Expiration Date: December 31, 2023
Activity Fee: Free for Members and for Non-Members
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live activity presented at eLearning Days 2022. CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
- 1.00 ACPEThe Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
- 1.00 Certificate of Completion
System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities, you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating websites. View the minimum technical and system requirements for continuing education online learning activities