Dollars and Sense: Leveraging Noise to Estimate Cost Impact in the Specialty Pipeline
Pricing: Free for Members and $30 for Non-Members
The growing, evolving specialty pipeline presents an opportunity for payers to assess how they anticipate and prepare for potential financial impacts brought on by new-to-market specialty drugs. This session will provide an overview of data points and best practices available to payers, as well as how to leverage these tools to build valuable cost impact analyses and achieve cost-effective health outcomes.
Faculty will review the specialty pipeline’s overall potential financial ramifications and opportunities that exist to analyze and anticipate post-approval impact. The faculty will also illustrate this process through two real-world case studies of researching and calculating cost impacts in U.S.-wide patient populations, and how those models can be incorporated into plan forecasts.
Pharmacists who practice in managed care settings.
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Identify the potential impact of the specialty pipeline and the importance of preparedness for new-to-market drugs.
- Describe the important data points that make up comprehensive cost impact models.
- Explain how to develop a game plan for building out valuable cost impact models.
- Summarize how cost models can generate an overall forecast for a health plan.
Katie Lockhart, MA
Manager, Forecasting and Pharmacoeconomics
Magellan Rx Management
Brian K. MacDonald, PharmD
Director, Specialty Clinical Strategy
Magellan Rx Management
Middletown, Rhode Island
Brittany V. Henry, PharmD, MBA
Assistant Director, Educational Programs
Financial Relationship Disclosures
|Faculty/Reviewer/Planner||Reported Relevant Financial Relationships|
|Katie Lockhart, MA|
|Employee: Magellan Rx Management.|
|Brian K. MacDonald, PharmD|
|Employee: Magellan Rx Management|
Annie Schuster, BS, PharmD
|Brittany V. Henry, PharmD, MBA|
|Disclosed no relevant financial relationships.|
- AMCP Staff have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
- If applicable, relevant financial relationships have been mitigated and documented.
- Content has undergone a peer review to ensure content validity.
The Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
ACPE UAN:0233-0000-22-027-H01-P • Activity Type: Knowledge-Based
Contact Hours: 1
Release Date: May 10, 2022 • Expiration Date: December 31, 2023
Activity Fee: Free for Members and $30 for Non-Members
Participants should claim continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit for this home study activity only if they have not claimed credit for the live activity presented at eLearning Days 2022. CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
- 1.25 ACPEThe Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
- 1.25 Certificate of Completion
System Requirements Courses and learning activities are delivered via your Web browser and Acrobat PDF. For all activities, you should have a basic comfort level using a computer and navigating websites. View the minimum technical and system requirements for continuing education online learning activities