FMCP-PT Module 4: Developing and Managing the Drug Formulary
The drug formulary, or preferred drug list, is a listing of drugs covered by a payer such as a health plan or pharmacy benefits manager - and is the backbone to understanding managed care pharmacy. There is extensive work done to prepare and review each medication added to the formulary. This module will detail what a formulary is and how a Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee develops and maintains a formulary.
Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, Managed Care Professionals
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Explain what a drug formulary is and how it is developed and maintained.
- State the composition, role, and responsibilities of a Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) Committee.
- Summarize the process that begins with the identification of a likely new drug approval and culminates in a formulary decision about the drug.
Joseph DiBiase Jr., CPhT
Director, Clinical Pharmacy Operations, Medicare Part D
Magellan Rx Management
President and Founder
Accountable Health, LLC
Tracy McDowd, PharmD, FAMCP
Manager, Clinical Pharmacy
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
Vimal V. Reddy, PharmD
VP, Payer Strategy, Market Access
Financial Relationship Disclosures:
|Reported Relevant Financial Relationships
|Joseph DiBiase Jr., CPhT
Faculty, Planner, Peer Reviewer
|Tracy McDowd, PharmD, FAMCP
|Brittany V. Henry, PharmD, MBA
Planner, Peer Reviewer
|Vimal Reddy, PharmD
|Ruby Singh, PharmD
Planner, Peer Reviewer
- AMCP Staff have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
- If applicable, relevant financial relationships have been mitigated and documented.
- Content has undergone a peer review to ensure content validity.
ACPE UAN:0233-0000-23-029-H04-T • Activity Type: Knowledge-Based
Contact Hours: 0.75
Release Date: August 04, 2023 • Expiration Date: July 31, 2026
CPE credit will be processed through the AMCP Learn portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. Please allow 72 hours for processing and posting in your NABP account.
To receive credit for an online activity you must:
- Review the full content of the activity.
- Successfully complete the post-test (required to pass with a score of 70% or higher, it may be taken a maximum of three times).
- Complete a specific activity evaluation.
- 0.75 ACPE Pharmacy TechnicianThe Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.